Ms. Plochocki has experience in a wide range of domestic and cross-border disputes, including financial services, contract, and fraud litigation spanning multiple jurisdictions. Ms. Plochocki devises and executes strategies to recover assets through U.S. courts on behalf of multinational financial institutions, international investors and foreign corporations. Her practice also includes the management of reputation, risk, and relationships with U.S. and European financial institutions, as well as advising individuals and corporations on compliance with U.S. import and export control laws, including sanctions regimes administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. She regularly counsels international clients on potential U.S. civil and criminal liability.
Additionally, for three months, Ms. Plochocki worked as a foreign legal consultant on secondment at King & Wood Mallesons LLP, a multinational law firm headquartered in Hong Kong. Ms. Plochocki split her time between the Beijing and Shanghai offices, where she consulted on Chinese litigation and arbitration matters, and advised Chinese financial institutions and corporations on U.S. compliance laws, including the FCPA, U.S. sanctions, and the PATRIOT Act.
Prior to joining Lewis Baach, Ms. Plochocki was a litigation associate in prominent national and international law firms, representing clients in high-stakes litigation matters nationwide. She also has extensive experience litigating insurance coverage actions based on claims of property damage, bodily injury, professional liability and fraud.
During law school, Ms. Plochocki was a legal intern at the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, where she helped successfully resolve a long-standing immigration dispute involving Palestinians and their alleged financial support of a terrorist support group. Ms. Plochocki also served as the Managing Editor of the Michigan Journal of International Law. Before law school, Ms. Plochocki served in the Peace Corps in Jordan, and taught Tibetan Studies for Emory University in Northern India.
Pro Bono and Community Service
Ms. Plochocki is dedicated to pro bono service and has received recognition for her representation of victims of domestic violence in Washington, DC. At Lewis Baach, Ms. Plochocki spearheaded a partnership with Bread for the City to handle representation of victims of domestic violence. She has also represented detainees in Guantanamo Bay, and has worked on a number of matters at the intersection of constitutional rights and national security. She regularly volunteers with Bread for the City to support its broader efforts to deliver legal and social services to D.C.’s low-income residents.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, California Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Trustee, Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
- Intern, American Civil Liberties Union
- Associate, Washington office of International Law Firm
- Associate, Washington office of National Law Firm
- Representation of Saudi Arabian corporation in seeking recovery for losses arising out of international bribery scheme
- Representation of multiple investors in complex civil litigation arising out of securities fraud committed by Venezuelan financier
- Representation of Saudi Arabian conglomerate in civil litigation concerning complex financial service fraud totaling in excess of $10 billion
- Representation of numerous companies and individuals, both in the U.S. and abroad, in connection with various matters including investigations by U.S. law enforcement and regulatory agencies
- Representation of Hungarian steel company in 1782 discovery efforts
- Representation of Guantanamo detainee in habeas petition filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Representation of physicians as amicus curiae against physician participation in carrying out the death penalty
- Provided counsel to international publishing house on compliance with U.S. export laws and sanctions regimes
Successfully appealed the removal of an SES federal employee before the Merit Systems Protection Board
Publications & Events
- Authored by Tara J. Plochocki, Lewis Baach PLLC and Meg Utterback, King & Wood Mallesons LLPAugust 2, 2016
- December 10, 2015
- Lecture, “The 14th Amendment and the Law of Diversity,” at the University of Maryland (2014)2014
- Lecture, “Federalism and Constitutional Law,” at Berea College (2011)2011
In the News
Lewis Baach is pleased to announce the release of “Getting the Deal Through: Litigation Funding 2017,” which offers the first comprehensive overview of the laws and regulations governing litigation funding on a country-by-country basis. Lewis Baach attorneys David Liston, Alex Patchen and Tara Plochocki authored the chapter on the United States.2017 Edition
- al-Arabiya, July 20, 2016
- July 12, 2016
- Law360, July 12, 2016
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2007), Managing Editor of the Michigan Journal of International Law
- Barnard College of Columbia University (B.A., cum laude, 2002)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and D.C. Circuits